24 November 2013

Sewing Machine Review - Janome Memory Craft 4800QC

My next sewing machine review is on my regular sewing machine, you know, one that does different stitches and is capable of doing a buttonhole? Here is all you ever wanted to know (and probably a lot you didn't want to know) about my Janome Memory Craft 4800: Quilters Companion.



What brand and model do you have? This machine is a Janome Memory Craft 4800: Quilters Companion

How long have you had it? In cahoots with my father, my husband bought this machine for me as a Christmas present in 2004, just before I started studying fashion design. My husband very kindly agreed with me that if I was to make sewing more than just a hobby and a way for me to have new clothes all the time (if only that was still the case!) then I should upgrade from my first Janome that I bought for a couple of hundred dollars fresh out of high school. Or maybe I was still in high school. I can't remember off the top of my head.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)? I have no idea how much it cost, but I think it's worth around $1,000

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?  This machine is mainly used now for stretch sewing, buttonholes, sewing with a twin needle, and adding names to day care sheets (on the actual sheet, not the bag - that's what the embroidery machine is for.)



How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get? Since purchasing my 1600P, this machine does not see as much regular sewing as it used to. It is in regular use though and most weeks would be used for something at least once.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name? I wouldn't say that I love it, but this is a good all round machine. Compared to the quite basic machine that I had been using before this, the features on this machine are great.

What features does your machine have that work well for you? Alphabets, different stitches, up/down needle button. It has a one step buttonhole which is an improvement on this machine's predecessor.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine? The screw that holds the machine feet on is a little loose, I'm always tightening it up. It doesn't go over bumps that well (for example it doesn't like going over seams when hemming jeans), and I've damaged both feet and needle plate from wayward needles and bumpy fabrics. It's not fast enough for my liking. The top speed is 820 stitches per minute, just over half that of the 1600P. If you're doing a stretch stitch, cut that down by half again, and it feels soooo slow.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why? Yes. This is a good reliable all rounder. If you were to have only one machine, this would cover most of your needs.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine? Always look for one that meets your needs and fits in your budget.

Do you have a dream machine? If you added some of the features of my Janome 1600P to this machine, you'd be in sewing heaven! Increase the speed, add a thread cutter and a knee lift and we're done!

Catch up on my other sewing machine reviews:

Janome 1600P
Janome Memory Craft 300E Embroidery Machine
Pfaff Hobbylock 4870
Janome Mylock 634D Overlocker
Janome Coverpro 1000CP

Head over to sew mama sew to see more sewing machine reviews.


1 comment: