15 July 2015

Sewing Machine Review - Janome Mylock 634D Overlocker

It's been quite a while since I've written any sewing machine reviews, despite the fact that I do have two machines that I have not yet shared here. Although I've had it for a while, here's my newest overlocker (serger), a Janome Mylock 634D. I bought this to replace my Pfaff Hobbylock after it stopped working.



What brand and model do you have? This machine is a Janome Mylock 634D overlocker. I'm not sure of the exact age, but I estimate that it is from around 2012 - 2013.

How long have you had it? I purchased this machine from eBay in February 2014, so as of writing this review I've had it for about 18 months. The machine hadn't been used much by it's previous owner, and was pretty much in as new condition when I bought it. It was even threaded so I just tied the threads and pulled them through to change them!

How much does that machine cost (approximately)? I bought it for $325. I couldn't find an exact price for it new, but estimate that it was around $600.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)? I use it mostly for finishing seams on clothing. My preferred setting is the four thread overlock. I also use it for rolled hems on chiffon among other things.

Rolled hem
How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get? Depending on what I'm working on at the time, it would see some use most weeks.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name? I think this machine is great. I have had very few problems with it since I bought it. Occasionally I have threading issues, but nothing too major.

What features does your machine have that work well for you? I love the way that the left side of the machine opens out as well as the front. It makes it so much easier to clean out.


I mostly just do four thread overlocking, sometimes three thread if I need to do something narrower, with the occasional rolled hems. The settings to change stitches are straightforward too. No fiddling around with different needle plates to change to a rolled hem like my old Pfaff.

It came with a box of assorted specialty feet. I haven't actually tried any of them yet, so can't tell you if they're useful, or just gimicky.


The accessories compartment fits neatly in the thread catcher, which is pretty cool, but then you have to take it out every time you use it, so I keep the accessories elsewhere.



I love the little discs to go on the threads so that regular reels of thread stay in place and spool out evenly. For tall reels of thread like these that are taller than the thread spike, the prongs in the centre of the discs hold the reels in place.



Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine? My first issue, and it's only a preference thing, is that the presser foot lifter is behind the main part of the machine. That means that if you need to lift the presser foot before you've finished, say, if you're doing a corner, then you have to reach around over the top with your right hand while holding the fabric in place with your left hand. My Pfaff had the lifter on the right hand of the machine, and it was one of the few things that I loved about that machine.

Next, there is a gap to the right of the needle plate, where slivers of fabric can get caught after the trimming blade cuts them off. This can get caught under the needles and consequently in the overlocking. This causes lumps in the finished seam, which usually can be pulled out without issues, but can cause some issues if it isn't noticed in time.

Also, I can't seem to make the necessary adjustments to get the stitches lined up right at the edge of the cut edge. This mostly happens with the three thread setting, which is why I generally use the four thread setting.

One other thing that bugs me was the flimsy plastic cover that came with this machine. All of my other Janomes have lovely PVC covers for them to keep off the dust, but not this one. Lucky for me my Coverpro is about the same size, and as I keep it in a cupboard it stays dust free anyway, I can use it's cover for this machine!


Would you recommend the machine to others? Why? Yes! It's a great overlocker. Simple to use, simple to operate, easy to clean. But then again, I love Janomes, if you haven't already noticed.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine? Get something within your budget, that does what you need it to do. This one isn't fancy, but it does the job reliably and without fuss, so I'm happy with that.

Do you have a dream machine? It would be nice to have an overlocker that does coverstitching as well, although as I do own a coverstitch machine, I don't know if I would go to the trouble of changing the settings on an overlocker to use it. Maybe I should just stick to dedicated machines!


Catch up on my other sewing machine reviews:

Pfaff Hobbylock 4870 (now  no longer with me)


No comments:

Post a Comment