One of the things that Sharon has been wanting to try more of is bra making, and if you've been reading my blog at all over the past year and a bit, you would know that I've developed rather an obsession with making bras, and am constantly on the search for the perfect fit.
|I swear my desk my clear at the start of the day!|
For Sharon, we started from scratch with measurements, and following Beverly Johnson's method of making a pattern, Sharon set to work on her pattern. By the end of the day, she had a pattern, and we just had enough time to sew it up from calico and have a look at the initial fit.
|Sharon's pattern making|
|Sharon's bra toile, with wires in|
Prior to our bra making day, I had a play with my bridge so I'd be ready to make a pattern from it. I traced out onto pattern card the bridge / cradle pieces from my latest bra pattern, including the seam allowance, and snipped into the seam allowance on the curve around the cups. I used a paperclip to join the two pieces together at the centre, and set to work trying to figure out where it should go. This is not terribly easy, but would have been easier with an extra set of hands to hold one side in place while trying to get the other side sorted. I'm sure that if I asked the husband to help it wouldn't have been as quick to do though! When I was happy with how it was sitting, I put a pin in the centre so it was more stable, and checked the placement once last time.
Using this as a base, I set about making a pattern from it while helping Sharon out whenever she got stuck on something. I chose what I was going to make the next bra from, and made the rest of the pattern pieces. By the time Sharon left, I almost had everything cut out, so I finished that after she was gone, and started to sew it all up.
I'll leave all the exact details of the bra until I've finished it, and can dedicate a post to the bra.
And I almost forgot: I did stashbust half a metre of stretch lace, which I gave to Sharon! Maybe she'll manage to sew it up before I do.