That got him hooked! He made me a machine without any guidance from me, complete with 2 reels of thread, 2 bobbins (you never know when that extra one might come in handy), and 2 presser feet (more is best apparently!)
Using the ideas he used in this first machine, I suggested some improvements, and we came up with the next one together (just one of everything this time!)
And this third machine is one that I did by myself. I started with a tutorial that I re-pinned on Pinterest, and made some modifications until I had something a little sturdier, and that looked a little more like my long arm Janome 1600P.
Finally having an oversized stash of Lego has paid off!
I'm not done yet though! I'm still going to have a go at a treadle, and an overlocker (serger). But for now, I might try and spend a bit more time with the real thing, and get some sewing done.