A few months ago I offered to make undies for my husband, and in return he would tolerate the fact that I was going to blog about them and show the whole world the undies that I was making for him (as long as he didn't have to model them). I briefly toyed with the idea of making my own pattern from his favourite undies, but then saw a special on the Thread Theory Comox trunks pattern, so decided to buy the pattern and go from there.
Next problem. He doesn't like wearing trunks, and prefers the style of his favourite Bonds undies. Another change I made on the first attempt to accommodate this was to cut the side leg higher.
|First attempt at the Thread Theory Pattern|
|First real pair of undies|
This project was then put on the backburner while I finished up other projects.
Fast forward to the start of April, when I took up the challenge again. After looking at where I had left off on the pattern, and comparing it to the cut of the Bonds undies, I decided that it was ridiculous to have different pieces of fabric at the back. Around the legs, there was only about 1cm of fabric left in the side piece. The Bonds undies have one piece of fabric from the back all around to the side front, then the crotch is is two pieces with two cut of each piece to make the fly front. I decided that I may as well try and replicate this.
|Line drawing of Bonds undies from their swing tag|
|Comparison of the Comox Trunks and Bonds undies|
|My final pattern|
|Pattern Testing - Round 2, Versions 1, 2 and 3|
|The Final Undies|
And in answer to my original question, now that I have a workable pattern to make undies for my husband, I think it's more ridiculous to spend $15 per pair of undies, when I can make them myself in my spare time.